As a small business owner, keeping your finances organized can feel like a full-time job itself. Between tracking budgets, expenses, invoices, and more, things can quickly spiral if you don’t have an efficient system in place.
That’s where Notion comes in handy. This versatile workspace can become a central hub for all your financial tracking needs. With customizable databases and templates, Notion makes it simple to create the perfect financial tracking solution for your small business.
In this article, we’ll explore some of the best Notion templates crafted specifically for streamlining financial management for entrepreneurs and small business owners. These templates are designed to take the headache out of tasks like budgeting, tracking expenses, creating invoices, and more.
Let’s dive in!
The Financial Tracking Needs of a Small Business
Before jumping into the templates themselves, it helps to step back and understand the core financial tracking needs of most small businesses. As an entrepreneur, what do you truly need when it comes to your finances?
In most cases, small business owners need systems for:
- Creating and managing budgets – A budget is your roadmap for allocating income and tracking expenses each month. Not having a clear budget makes it impossible to achieve your financial goals.
- Tracking expenses – From recurring bills to one-off purchases to payroll, you need a clear record of the money flowing out. Without knowing exactly where your money is going, you can’t rein in excess spending.
- Creating and sending invoices – For service-based businesses, getting paid depends on creating and delivering professional invoices. A proper invoicing system helps you clearly communicate payment terms with clients and get paid faster.
- Managing cash flow – Being able to accurately forecast your cash flow from month to month gives you better control over the financial health and stability of your company. When cash flow is unreliable, small businesses often struggle with cash crunches.
- Tracking profit & loss – Understanding your net profits (or losses) is crucial for measuring the overall success of your business. The numbers can also give you insights into problem areas that need your focus.
With core needs like these in mind, let’s explore some premade Notion templates that simplify meeting those needs for small business owners like yourself.
The Finance Tracker template is an all-in-one finance solution for small businesses. This feature-packed template lets you handle budgeting, reporting, forecasts, and more from one Notion workspace.
Here are some standout aspects of the Finance Tracker template:
– Budget Overview Dashboard – See at-a-glance graphs and key metrics related to your income, expenses, cash flow position, yearly budgets vs. actuals, and more. Filter or search by month, client, project, category, and other custom tags.
– Income & Expenses Tracker – Log income and expenses through simple forms, auto-populate reports, and get alerted about significant spending outside budgets. Attach invoices or other files as needed.
– Client & Project Management – Track time, generate invoices, log payments received, and view profitability by client or project.
– Monthly, Quarterly & Yearly Reporting – Generate one-click reports on any time period. View and forecast cash flow, analyze deviations from budgets, track account balances over time.
With the Finance Tracker, small business owners get an easy-to-use Notion system for staying on top of budgets, managing invoices and bills, keeping revenue and expenses organized in one place, and generating financial statements when needed.
The template is intuitive enough for beginners to pick up quickly but also offers advanced functionality for power users.
For smaller companies focused squarely on getting their budgets fully dialed in, the Budget Tracker template is purpose-built for the task.
This Notion template simplifies building, tracking, and managing budgets month-to-month and across yearly cycles.
Key aspects of the Budget Tracker include:
– Income Form Tracker – Log multiple income sources through easy forms, assigned to the right month.
– Expenses Form Tracker – Capture expenses as they occur through forms. Tag and filter expenses by type, month, client, project, etc.
– Budget vs Actuals Report – See your actual income and spending compared to budgets at a glance. Filter by time period.
– Budgeting Planner – Plan and allocate budget by week or month. Designate budgets by category such as salaries, accounting fees, office utilities, etc.
The Budget Tracker also makes it easy to export budget reports to share with others. The whole system is centralized in one Notion workspace so you have the big picture of your cash flow.
For small businesses and solopreneurs selling services, having a customer relationship management (CRM) system in place is vital. This keeps you organized as your portfolio of clients and projects expands.
Rather than invest in an expensive standalone CRM software, the Notion CRM template provides a DIY solution for contact management, lead tracking, and project management — all for free within your workspace!
With the CRM Tracker, small businesses can expect to:
– Manage Contacts & Leads – Centralize lead and contact details from discovery call to converted client.
– Track Deals Through Sales Pipeline – Use kanban boards to manage deals from prospect outreach to closed sale.
– Log Time By Tasks and Projects – Input time to generate invoices or analyze profitability by service.
– Calendar Scheduling – Sync calendar to avoid double-booking client calls and meetings.
By customizing this framework, you can build a CRM uniquely suited for your business needs. Best part — all data integrates with your other systems and templates under one Notion account.
From calculating quarterly estimated taxes to better understanding spending patterns in your business, tracking all your expenses is critical.
While expenses management does tie into broader financial systems like the Finance Tracker template, some businesses have an easier time with a dedicated template solely for tracking money out.
The Expense Tracker template offers the perfect lightweight solution including:
– Easy Data Entry Tables – Log expenses on-the-go through your mobile device or web app. Attach photos of receipts.
– Filtering & Reporting – Instantly filter expenses by categories, payment types, clients, billing cycles, and custom tags. Export reports.
– Mileage Tracking – For mobile businesses, track mileage for tax deductions or billing clients.
– Charts & Summary Tables – See expenses analytics through graphs and tables.
For solopreneurs and microbusiness owners, the Expense Tracker is an easy way to stay accountable and make smarter spending decisions through data.
Start Tracking Your Finances the Easy Way with Notion
As this article illustrates, Notion offers ready-made templates tailored to the varied financial tracking needs of small business owners.
Rather than complex accounting software with a confusing learning curve, these Notion systems provide intuitive DIY solutions for critical financial tasks. Table of contents:
The templates highlighted here are designed to help entrepreneurs and solopreneurs:
✔ Track budgets vs. actual income and expenses
✔ Log billable and non-billable hours
✔ Generate professional invoices
✔ Identify areas of overspending
✔ Improve forecasting with cash flow reports
For startups and lean small businesses, Notion templates can replace expensive financial tech systems. As your company evolves, these tools scale with you every step of the way.
The best part about Notion? It’s incredibly user-friendly even for non-experts but also packs immense functionality with database support. You can conserve resources building your financial toolbox in-house vs relying fully on outsourced accounting teams.
While no single solution is one-size-fits-all, hopefully this overview gave you ideas on how Notion could simplify your financial tracking. Most templates are customizable to fit your small business needs or can serve as a framework for you to build your own systems from scratch.
As a small business owner and expert in using Notion for financing, I’m always happy to offer guidance to entrepreneurs and startups looking to implement Notion. Feel free to get in touch with any questions!
Streamline Financials, Focus on Growth
As an entrepreneur, you started your small business to turn your passion into profit. Yet many owners find more and more mental bandwidth taken up by financial tracking and admin.
Rather than drown under mountains of receipts, spreadsheets, invoices and bills, leverage the systems explored here. Use Notion to take finances off your plate so you can get back to a growth-focused strategy for your startup.
With templates handling the heavy lifting of budgeting, payments, cash flow, and accounting, you regain time and mental clarity. Running finance reports becomes simple anytime you need them.
As your small business evolves, these Notion workspaces fluidly change with you. Systems that work for a solopreneur just starting out scale smoothly as your team or clientele expands over time.
No more outgrowing financial tools or migrating data every couple years.
Get started simplifying financial tracking for your small business using the Notion template solutions covered here. Don’t let administrative distractions take away from pursuing your entrepreneurial dreams and serving your clients with excellence.
The stability, insight and confidence of having finances under control gives your business its best chance of realizing long-term prosperity. Here’s to effortlessly tracking financials and focusing on growth in the new year!